Who we are
A team working to offer you efficiency, quality, convenience, traceability and expertise in the use of Bicar®z sodium bicarbonate supplement.
Bicar®Z and You, a relationship based on trust
With 40 years of research and experimentations in feed materials, Bicar®Z continues to be the trusted solution for livestock farmers, zootechnical nutritionists and vets around the world.
What is sodium bicarbonate used for in feed?
The high buffering capacity and sodium intake of Bicar®Z are demonstrated at all levels and for several properties. It’s easy to use, and can safely be given to ruminants, pigs, poultry and shrimps alike. Bicar®Z helps to prevent acidosis and considerably increases livestock productivity by allowing, amongst others, cows to produce up to 3,6 L more milk every day.
From our manufacturing plants to your animals, the purity of the product is guaranteed. The Solvay group is a world leader in chemistry. As one of its key brands, Bicar®Z moves through short supply chains, with a minimum number of intermediaries and complete product traceability.
So you always know what you’re giving to your animals.
For better livestock breeding, trust Bicar®Z every day
The Bicar®Z reliability commitments
The efficiency of BicarⓇZ has been tested and is continuously being tested by independent experts in several regions (In Galicia, in West Germany, In Brittany, Italy Veneto and Emilia Romagna).
Please consult our last study that compares BicarZ with new buffers : this strongly demonstrates the cost efficiency of BicarⓇZ.
Livestock health and well-being
- Acidosis and Heat stress prevention
- Dietary electrolyte balance control
- Source of sodium without chloride
Higher livestock performances
- Livestock productivity (For instance : Up to an additional 3,6l milk / day / cow!)
- Livestock growth
- Fertility improvements for cows and poultry.
BicarⓇZ is easy to use. Conveniently packed or delivered in bulk, BicarⓇZ is ready for use and can be directly added to the feed ration of your animals.
Moreover, we can count on a strong network of specialized distributors with an important presence in all the territories in which they operate. You will be able to get our BicarⓇZ quickly.
- 25 kg per bag in Big Bags (1.200 Kg) or in bulk
- Big and resistant bags, easy to use
Easy dosage for all types of livestock
- 250g / day for cows - 0.5 to 1% of the feed ration of poultry and swine
- Can be mixed into a customized buffer
Easily available everywhere
- Large network of “feed specialized” distributors
- Locally produced (9 factories in Europe, North America and Asia)
- Safe and non-toxic for breeders and animals
- Easy to handle
The high quality of BicarⓇZ is key for you, for us, for your animals and all the people who will handle our product or feed off the production of your animals.
At Solvay, we have been producing BicarⓇ for more than 150 years ago and thanks to our laboratories on site, our strict process and the strong commitment of all our operators, we guarantee the high quality of BicarⓇZ.
Mineral, straightforward formula
- A single ingredient: sodium bicarbonate
- Sodium bicarbonate is present in the body of numerous species and it is also a household product, used for centuries
Solvay guarantee and independent certifications
- Solvay BicarⓇ is also used for pharma industry
- Certifications (GMP + and ISO 9001)
A buffer compatible with organic farming
- Sodium bicarbonate is listed as feed material of mineral origin on Annex V to Regulation N°889/2008
- Thus Bicar®Z is permitted to be used as organic feed material of mineral origin in organic production.
Our teams are organized in order to ensure the complete control of the process and raw materials, to analyze regularly our final product and manage its quality, but also to guarantee the complete traceability of it.
Short supply chains
- Our product is distributed by Solvay to specialized feed resellers closed to the final user.
- The number of intermediaries is limited to guarantee the safety of our product
Protective labelling and safety
- Marked with a batch number allowing the product to be tracked
- Safety sieves, magnets and/or metal detectors protect the product from foreign particles
For more than 40 years, we have been making extraordinary encounters. We have chosen to surround ourselves with independent experts in most of the countries where we operate. These experts are veterinarians or zootechnics consultants working with breeders on a daily basis and are passionate researchers - a nod to the academics of Padua. All of them have a deep respect for animals and have at heart to give the best help to you, the breeders.
Thanks to this network, BicarⓇZ can guarantee to deliver a strong expertise to you.
A market reference for 40 years
- Solvay was the first player to offer a specific bicarbonate for feed in Europe
- Today, Solvay is surrounded by a solid network of local independent experts: veterinarians, zootechnics specialists and academics.
Commitment to scientific research
- Regular publications linked to feed market
- Scientific studies and lab experimentations .
Innovative industry solutions
- Online tools for diagnosis and day-to-day usage of Bicar®Z
Knowing the causes of acidosis is important
Today, more than ever, the farm must be run like a business. The market has changed: competition has increased, production is intensifying and new environmental and health regulations are constantly being introduced.
In order to keep up with the news, it is necessary to keep up to date and prevent risk situations.
- As many studies and research show, acidosis is one of the most common diseases in intensive livestock farming. For example, the feed of dairy cows contains a large amount of rapidly fermentable carbohydrates, which are needed to provide a lot of energy, to the detriment of fibre. But when the animal ingests such concentrated feeds, rumination and salivation are not stimulated sufficiently, preventing the cow from naturally restoring a normal ruminal pH and increasing the risk of acidosis.
- Another common source of heat stress in animals is high temperature. Heat stress occurs when the animal produces or receives more heat than it dissipates. When the outside temperature exceeds 20° C or the THI exceeds 68°, high-producing pigs, cows and chickens become stressed, resulting in poorer welfare and reduced productivity. The risk increases when the air is very humid.
The role of sodium bicarbonate for animal feed
Used as a feed supplement for dairy cows, the buffering capacity of sodium bicarbonate feed helps stabilise pH by reducing acidic conditions.
Sodium bicarbonate feed is also fed as a partial replacement for salt in poultry rations. Broiler breeders find sodium bicarbonate an alternative source of sodium that contributes to litter control, making it drier and creating a healthier living environment.
Sodium bicarbonate supplement also has important uses in aquaculture, where it is added periodically to replenish alkalinity. Without the addition of sodium bicarbonate, the pH of the system eventually drops to lethal levels.
Understanding sodium bicarbonate effects
Sodium bicarbonate supplement provides an optimal acid-base balance
Basically, the organism is able to regulate the pH on its own
The metabolism of domestic animals is optimal in blood pH ranges between 7.3 and 7.5.
For ruminants, the optimal rumen pH is between 6.0 and 6.4.
Under normal conditions, the body is able to regulate pH with natural systems, for example by using bicarbonate already present in the body.
But this is not enough when the ration is too rich
In order to increase the zootechnical performance of the animals, breeders stimulate the production capacity of their livestock with rations that are rich in energy and quickly fermentable.
The latter can cause metabolic and ruminal acidosis, which results in reduced performance and a number of health risks such as lameness, infertility or reduced immunity. In addition, heat stress causes and aggravates ruminal acidosis and other health problems, resulting in a "vicious circle".
Sodium bicarbonate has a maximum buffering capacity of 6.33
Which is the optimum pH of a cow's rumen. This allows us to understand the effectiveness of sodium bicarbonate supplement to regulate the pH and prevent ruminal acidosis. Sodium bicarbonate is also the main blood buffer and is commonly used in infusion and dialysis to compensate for metabolic acidosis.
Why do we talk about buffering capacity?
Buffering capacity is the ability of a compound to stabilize the pH by counteracting even small changes in pH. It can be compared to a sponge that absorbs and neutralizes acidic compounds. When this compound is added to a food ration, it will thus temper its acidifying action and thus stabilize the pH at ideal levels.
A source of pure sodium without chloride or sulphur
Sodium plays an important role in animal physiology
Like bicarbonate, sodium maintains an appropriate acid-base balance even when animals are fed with acidifying rations. It is also necessary for neurotransmission and the transfer of sugars and nutrients to cells.
Bicarbonate helps to ensure the balance of DCAB and EB
To check that the acid-base balance of your animals' feed is correct, you can calculate the DCAB (Dietary Cation-Anion Balance) for your ruminants, or the EB (Electrolytic Balance) for swine and poultry, which is the mineral analysis of the ration (sodium, potassium, chloride and sulphur for the DCAB). As bicarbonate is a source of sodium, it helps to restore this balance.